Rest Is Not the Same as Quitting

Sometimes the strongest thing you can do is stop pushing for a minute and let yourself breathe.

For a long time I thought resting meant I was losing.

When I was homeless for that year, I didn't feel like I had the right to slow down. I worked fast food shifts and kept moving. If I stopped, it felt like everything I was holding together would fall apart. So I pushed through the freezing nights. I pushed through ear infections that made it hard to think. I pushed through months without a phone, when I couldn't even call anyone to say I was tired.

Pushing kept me going. I'm not going to pretend it didn't. But I also learned something I wish I had known sooner. You can't run on empty forever and call it strength.

Rest is not quitting. Quitting is deciding you're done. Rest is deciding you want to still be here tomorrow, with enough left in you to keep going.

I see this in the recovery circles I lead now. A lot of people come in carrying guilt about being tired. They think needing a break means they're weak, or that they're falling behind everybody else. I get it, because I used to think that too.

What I tell them is simple. Your body and your mind are not machines. They are the only ones you get. Taking care of them is part of the work, not a break from it.

Rest doesn't have to look like a vacation. Sometimes it's ten quiet minutes. Sometimes it's saying no to one more thing. Sometimes it's letting yourself sit down in your own space, close your eyes, and just breathe. Now that I have an apartment, I still catch myself rushing. I'm learning to slow down on purpose, and to not feel bad about it.

If you're worn out right now, I want you to hear this. You don't have to earn rest by breaking first. You're allowed to pause before you hit the floor.

Resting doesn't mean you stopped fighting. It means you're smart enough to fight for the long haul.

That's a big part of what UNLOCKED is about. Not just surviving the hard season, but learning how to take care of the person who's surviving it.

If you need a reminder that taking care of yourself is part of getting stronger, you can get UNLOCKED here for $9.99: https://payhip.com/b/5FzRw

Get UNLOCKED, $9.99

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to UNLOCKED

Kindness Is a Quiet Kind of Rescue

Showing Up When Nobody Knows