Kindness Is a Quiet Kind of Rescue
Being seen as a person mattered more than anyone could have known.
When you're homeless, a lot of people look right past you. Not always out of meanness. Sometimes they're busy, sometimes they're scared, sometimes they just don't know what to say. But when you spend a whole year being looked past, you start to feel like you're fading out of the picture.
That's why kindness hit me so hard back then. Not big gestures. Small ones. Someone making eye contact. Someone saying good morning like they meant it. Someone talking to me like I was a person who had a name and a story, not a problem they wanted to walk away from.
Back then I was working fast food, going months without a phone, getting through freezing nights and ear infections that wouldn't quit. On paper I didn't have much. But every bit of real kindness reminded me of something I was close to forgetting: I still mattered.
I think we underestimate how much a small kindness can carry. You never really know what the person in front of you is holding. The coworker who seems quiet. The guy at the bus stop. The person who looks tired in a way sleep won't fix. A kind word won't solve their whole life. But it might get them through one more day, and sometimes one more day is the whole fight.
Now I'm 27. I have an apartment. I lead recovery circles. And in those circles, I see the same thing over and over. People don't open up because someone gave them the perfect advice. They open up because someone made them feel safe enough to be honest. Kindness is what unlocks that door.
So here's what I try to remember, and what I'd ask you to try too. Be kind to people who can't do anything for you. Be patient with people who are clearly struggling. And be gentle with yourself on the days when you're the one who needs it. You deserve the same kindness you'd give anyone else.
Kindness isn't soft. It's strong. It takes strength to stay open in a world that gives you a hundred reasons to close up. I learned that the hard way, and it's a big part of why I wrote UNLOCKED.
If you've ever felt invisible, or you're carrying something you haven't told anyone about, my story might feel familiar. You can get UNLOCKED here for $9.99: https://payhip.com/b/5FzRw
Comments
Post a Comment