Hope Is Something You Practice

It isn't a feeling that shows up on its own. It's a habit you keep before anything looks different.

People talk about hope like it's a mood. Like it lands on you one morning and suddenly everything feels lighter. That's not how it worked for me.

The year I was homeless, hope almost never felt like a feeling. Most days it felt like nothing at all. I was tired, I was cold, and my ears hurt more nights than they didn't. If I had waited to feel hopeful before doing anything, I would have waited the whole year.

So I learned to treat hope like a practice instead. Something you do with your hands, not something you wait for in your chest.

Hope was showing up to my fast food shift even when I couldn't see where the paycheck was taking me. It was keeping myself as clean and put together as I could, so I could still recognize myself. It was going months without a phone and still believing I'd find a way back into a world that runs on one.

None of that felt brave. It felt ordinary. But ordinary things done on hard days add up. They kept a door open that I couldn't see yet.

Here's what I know now. Hope doesn't need a plan. It doesn't need proof. It just needs you to take the next small step like tomorrow is coming, because it is.

I'm 27 now. I have an apartment. I lead recovery circles where people come in carrying things that feel too heavy to name. Some of them tell me they've run out of hope. I believe them when they say it. And I tell them they don't have to feel it today. They only have to practice it a little. Come back next week. Drink some water. Say one honest thing out loud.

That's usually how it starts. Not with a big moment. With a small one you almost don't notice.

If you're in a season where hope feels far away, you're not doing it wrong. You're just in the part where it has to be practiced instead of felt. Keep going anyway. The feeling tends to catch up with you later.

That practice is a big part of what I wrote about in UNLOCKED. Not a story about everything going right, but about learning to keep a door open from the inside.

If you need a reminder that hope can be built one ordinary day at a time, you can get UNLOCKED here for $9.99: https://payhip.com/b/5FzRw

Get UNLOCKED, $9.99

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to UNLOCKED

Kindness Is a Quiet Kind of Rescue

Showing Up When Nobody Knows